Projects Custom Fields
Note: Custom fields is an optional add-on to Workzone. For more details on obtaining this feature in your Workzone site, please call us at 610-275-9861 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Custom fields can be established to allow you to track details of projects and tasks above and beyond the standard details already within Workzone.
To add or edit custom fields to your projects and tasks, click the Custom fields section under PROJECTS in the settings (gear icon) in the top for all workspaces.
- All custom fields shown on this page can display in the main list view of Projects, inserted before the NOTES field, in the order shown on this page (details on changing the order of custom fields is show later in this article).
- Custom fields cannot be located elsewhere in the columns of Projects.
- Specific custom fields can be hidden on Custom Reports.
To add a custom field, click the Create Custom Field button at the top of the page to launch the Add a Custom Field window, where you can manipulate:
- Field Name: enter the field name as you wish it to appear on the Task List and in Custom Reports. You will always be able to edit this later.
- Show for: select whether to enable the custom field for both projects and tasks (the default), projects only, or tasks only.
- Input type: select the type of field from the following choices:
- text (single line)
- textarea (multiple lines)
- date: (shows date picker calendar)
- checkbox (values are “checked” and “not checked”)
- money (in US dollars)
- user list (drop down list with same values as Responsible field)
- category list (drop down list with same values as Category field)
- Add values: if dropdown or checkbox is selected for Input type, provide the values to display; no write-in values are permitted.
- Click the Save button to create the new custom field. A sample of the field will appear.
- You can create a maximum of 10 custom fields. Once you have reached 10 custom fields, the Add Custom Field button will disappear, and you will see a notice that you have reached the maximum. You will need to delete an existing field to add another.
For modifying an existing custom field:
- Editing field name or drop down list values: mouse over the field name and click the pencil icon above that column. Make the desired changes, and then click the Save button.
- Once a field has been created, you cannot switch from one field type to another. You will need to delete the current field and recreate it with a different field type (note: you will lose any existing data for the field you are deleting).
- Deleting a field: mouse over the field name and click the “X” above that column. Warning: when you delete a field, you permanently delete any existing data for that field. This cannot be undone!
- Reordering custom fields: mouse over the field name and click the left or right arrow above that column. The column will move one spot each time you click the arrow. The change is saved automatically and is reflected in the order of custom fields on the Task List. [You can specify the order of custom fields separately for Custom Reports.]
- Resizing column widths: Each type of custom field has a default width. If you pick a name for the field that is longer than the default width, it may bleed over the edge of the column into the next column. You can resize the width of a custom field by grabbing the right edge of the field name in the header column and dragging it to the right (make larger) or to the left (make smaller). You automatically see a preview on this page of how the column will look.
Custom Fields are also available for filtering.